Friday, August 17, 2007

Take a Deep Breath...

Shabbat is almost here. The day of rest....

I must admit, my life is not so restful. The two little ones are not sleeping well and therefore, neither am I. Tomorrow I am driving myself and the baby back up to camp for the conclusion of the NFTY Summer Kallah, then back home again on Sunday. There are many things to do...

But Shabbat is here.

During this month of Elul, I'm trying so hard to prepare myself for the High Holy Days. I'm trying to embrace the opportunity that this month offers, to think through myself and my actions...so today, I offer this line from Psalm 27, traditionally read each day during the month of Elul:

"Only one thing I ask of God, this I seek: May I dwell in the house of God all the days of my life, to behold the pleasantness of God and to visit God's sanctuary."

If each day of my life is lived as though I am in God's sanctuary, then even the dirty kitchen will hold holiness, for it is in God's sanctuary.

May this Shabbat bring rest and peace and joy to you and yours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Phyllis, I'm so glad we "met." Yesterday my Zen teacher gave a talk on this theme. The Buddha and his monks were walking in a meadow. He said, "this is a good place to erect a sanctuary." One monk plucked a blade of grass and stuck it into the ground and said, "The sanctuary has been erected."

Grass, dishes, unmade beds, car trips, packing, unpacking. The sanctuary of our ordinary lives.
The sanctuary of this one mind, where there are no coincidences, only perfect timing.