Friday, December 7, 2007

The Saga of Joseph (It's Haiku Friday!)


We meet back with Joe
Remember he's in prison
stuck there in Egypt.

Pharoah had a dream:
seven fat cows by the Nile
seven thin ones too.

The thin ate the fat
but they didn't get fatter.
what could all this mean?

Then he dreamed again:
Seven good ears of corn grew,
seven bad ones too.

The bad ate the good
but they didn't get better.
What could this all mean?

Pharaoh was disturbed.
When the pharaoh ain't happy,
then no one's happy.

What did the dreams mean?
His wisest men couldn't say.
The butler spoke up.

"I was once in jail
and I had a dream while there;
a guy helped me out."

Aha! It was Joe!
They cleane dhim up, brought him in.
Pharaoh told the dreams.

Joe credited God.
"God helps me figure it out,
I know what they mean."

Seven rockin' years
full of food and great success
are coming our way.

Then come seven bad:
no food, a famine, it's rough!
Things will go downhill.

Joe gave his advice:
"Get someone to make a plan,
set up a system,

put away extra,
save it for the rainy days
so we can eat then!"

Pharoah said: "It's great!
You're the right guy for the job,
you have God's wisdom."

So Joe was the guy.
They saved all the leftovers
to pass out later.

(This is a super long Torah portion! I'll finish it next year... ha ha.. Or see the "other version" of the story!)

And for more Haiku Friday, click here.

6 comments:

the planet of janet said...

i soooo love your haikus!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Seriously, you are very talented at these!

Unknown said...

I'm reading this & having visions of Andrew Lloyd Webber. Amazing Dreamcoat anyone?? I can't tell you oft enough how much I love the weekly Torah haikus.

Bren said...

Another brilliant haiku! I love reading yours.

Melissa said...

These are so great and original! Can't wait for the next installment.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

That's great; it really drives the story home and makes it memorable. I'm glad I found you!