Saturday, March 29, 2008

Books you may have forgotten...

I do love books.
But this meme is pretty darn silly.

Still, I've now been tagged for it *twice*! So here goes...

The closest book is: Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill by Maud Hart Lovelace.

(Before you fall out of your chair laughing, let me tell you that this series of books, if you've never heard of them before, are awesome. I loved them when I was a kid and I'm now in the joyful process of sharing with my son. This is the third in the series, and the girls get older and the series even concludes with a married Betsy, so it's not like some of those other books where the girls never grow up. AND its set in a small town in Minnesota so I always felt very close to home.)

Here are the rules:

* Pick up the nearest book of at least 123 pages.
* Open the book to page 123.
* Find the 5th sentence.
* Post the next 3 sentences.
* Tag 5 people.

They saw a cloud of dust and heard the thud of hoofs. A team of glossy white horses flashed into view. They were driven by a coachman who wore a plug hat like a coachman in a parade. A glittering open carriage swayed along the narrow street. Betsy, Tacy, and Tib glimpsed a white beard...a black veil. Here were Mr. Meecham and his daughter!

(I might have given you a couple of extra sentences there...sorry.)

I'm not sure what the purpose of this meme is but I hope, in this case, that it inspires you to go out to your nearest library and check out the Betsy-Tacy books. They are great, the first one is short and they get progressively longer. Perfect for reading aloud to your kids (or reading yourself)!

While you're at it, also look at...
All of a Kind Family
The Melendy Quartet
The Hundred Dresses
Little House on the Prairie (who could forget these, but still)
and of course, my all-time, love it love it love it favorite:
Anne of Green Gables.

Okay...so I tag:
Amy, Carissa, FrumeSarah, Harry (might give him something to post on), and EzerK...
but if you want to play along, feel free. (And if I've tagged you and you don't wanna, I'm cool with that too. I must admit, I read all your blogs but can't remember if you guys have done this one.)

3 comments:

Reiza said...

You love Anne too? Anne of Green Gables is tied for my favorite book of all time (It's a 3-way tie: Anne, Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere and Pride and Prejudice).

Yours was so much better than mine. Mine was dull.

Forget the cover, "Never judge a book by a handful of lines from it's 123rd page" :-)

Anonymous said...

Yay -- I love your book choices. Never read The Hundred Dresses or The Melendy Quartet so I must add them to my list.

Did you read Caddie Woodlawn? Same genre!!

Anonymous said...

Yay -- I love your book choices. Never read The Hundred Dresses or The Melendy Quartet so I must add them to my list.

Did you read Caddie Woodlawn? Same genre!!