Thursday, October 1, 2009

Welcome to the Indoor Sukkah

Our first year in Chicago, we weren't able to put up a sukkah (for a variety of reasons). But rather than let the holiday just pass us by, I decided to put up an indoor sukkah. I searched all over for some guidelines - but really, no one had written articles or talked too much about this concept. So...I went to my favorite sukkah supply store and I picked up some items that seemed like they'd work.

Shiny garlands of fake leaves, imitation grapes, pears, apples, and a few other rustic looking fall decorations went into my cart. Oh, and of course, stars! One of the primary rules about a sukkah is that you have to be able to see the stars through the roof. That would be a very very bad thing to happen to my kitchen...so instead I decided on some shiny star garlands and also some fluffy stars to hang.

And now that we put up a "real" sukkah outdoors (which we have been doing for a while now), we still continue to put up the indoor one as well. It is a fun family tradition that my kids really love. 


(And all the supplies fit into a nice box that lives in the basement and it all gets reused each year. Great investment!)


Yes, I certainly know that our indoor sukkah doesn't quite fulfill the mitzvah of dwelling in a sukkah. But I also know that it almost always rains during the holiday. And I know that we don't get to eat every meal outside (even though technically, we could or should)...and I know that decorating the house makes the whole week seem much more festive! If you're like us, the kitchen is the center of our house - we spend so much time there - it reminds us all the time of the celebration.

Plus, I think that anyone can do this - even if you don't have a yard or the ability to build a sukkah. It's just a great way to celebrate the holiday and get into the spirit of the season. So why not try it this year?

5 comments:

Amy said...

Awesome! I'm headed out to go camping this weekend with my teens. I don't know if I have time to indoor sukkah my apartment before Friday, but I'm totally inspired now! Hmmmm . . the possibilities!

Robin said...

That's so cute and festive looking! It reminds me of the year my son REALLY wanted to camp out at our annual music festival, and his pregnant mother REALLY did NOT want to camp, so we brought along his little ball tent and he did "special indoor camping". Mom's sneaky that way.

Jack Steiner said...

An indoor sukkah- never thought of that before. But I can see how you midwesterners might have a need for one.

Jew Wishes said...

What fantastic photos you are sharing with us. Thank you.

I love it! I love the decorations, the creative edge, and the wonderful indoor environment you have created for your family. I'm sure the memories will last for years to come.

Chag Sameach to you and yours. Shabbat Shalom.

Frume Sarah said...

Think we might have to try this given this year's craziness.

You're sooooo creative!