Thursday, May 24, 2012

Singing Torah

There's a lot of questions lately within the field of Jewish education. What is our ultimate goal? Do we care about details and facts, or are we concerned about belonging and connection? I think that relational connections are crucial and seeking them out is a very important goal of Jewish education.

And yet it totally warms my heart when my kids can demonstrate something that they have learned in Religious School....something concrete, specific, and delivered with pride and enthusiasm....



I do believe that our children learn to value what we value.
A little knowledge goes a long way....

We're Tweeting #Torah to the Top all day Friday in preparation for standing at Sinai. Join us!

4 comments:

Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

I love you, Yaeli, more and more each day.

IWe said...

Serious question because I find the video somewhat confusing: Why do Jewish kids learn in a (liberal Jewish) framework the christian terms of biblical books and not the Jewish ones? When you announce the reading of the weekly torah portion do you refer to "the book of Exodus" or to "Schemot"?

wallcough said...

I just love the shoulder shimmy. (And I hope that the students I taught view Torah with as much pure joy as Yael does.)

Phyllis Sommer said...

That's a great question - we actually refer to the books by both their Hebrew AND English names. She is learning the English now but my older ones are already learning the Hebrew names as well.