Sunday, August 18, 2013

#BlogElul 12: Trust


It is traditional throughout the Hebrew month of Elul to recite Psalm 27 daily. 
A major theme of this psalm is trusting in God. I'm trying. I really am....
My thoughts are in italics....

A Psalm of David:
God is my light and my salvation; whom should I fear? 

God is the stronghold of my life; of whom should I be afraid?
When evildoers approach me to devour my flesh, my own foes and enemies, 

it is they who stumble and fall.
Though an army encamp against me, my heart would have no fear; 
though war arise against me, still would I be confident.

The army that rises against me is the army within my child.
I am filled with fear, I am filled with mistrust.
But I am confident that I will find a path. 
I am confident in the strength of faith and family, of love and prayer and hope.
I trust You.
 
One thing I ask of God; that is what I seek: to dwell in the house of God all the days of my life, 
to behold the beauty of God and to frequent God's temple.

One thing, O God. Just one little thing.
I'm just asking for the world. 

God will hide me in God's own pavilion on an evil day, conceal me in the hiding places of God's own tent, and raise me high upon a rock.

Give me a place of shelter, a safe space to rant and rave and scream and cry.
Give me a place of hope to shelter my aching heart.
Give me a place that I can trust, a place where I will know that goodness will be done.

Now is my head raised above my enemies round about me; I sacrifice in God's tent with shouts of joy; I sing and chant hymns to God.
Hear, O God, my voice; I call: have mercy on me, and answer me.
On Your behalf my heart says: “Seek my face!” Your face, O God, I seek.

Remind me of my blessings.
Remind me of those who are with me each and every day, no matter how far away.
Remind me of my community and my support.
Remind me to turn to You.

Do not conceal Your face from me; do not turn Your servant away in anger; 
You are my help. 
Do not abandon me, do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Though my father and mother forsake me, God will take me in.
Show me, O God, Your way, and lead me on a level path because of my watchful adversaries.
Do not subject me to the will of my foes, for false witnesses have arisen against me, 
breathing out violence.

There are so many possible paths. There are so many ways I can get lost.
Help me to stay on the path, to stay the course, to be strong and full of courage.
Help me to trust, to keep faith in those who lead and guide and help this path.
Help me to continue to trust that God will continue to watch over and protect my family.

Were I not to believe that I would see God’s goodness in the land of the living….
Hope in God; be strong and of good courage! O hope in God!

Hope is light and airy, it buoys us up and strengthens our steps.
Hope keeps the trust strong, it keeps the faith alive.
To know, to feel, to believe, to trust in that hope...that is our challenge.
Hope in God, be strong and of good courage.... 

--


The Jewish month of Elul, which precedes the High Holy Days, is traditionally a time of renewal and reflection. It offers a chance for spiritual preparation for the Days of Awe. It is traditional to begin one’s preparation for the High Holy Days during this month with the Selichot, the prayers of forgiveness. We look to begin the year with a clean slate, starting anew, refreshed. All month, along with others, I'll be blogging a thought or two for each day to help with the month of preparation... I will be blogging here, and sharing #Elulgram photos on the same themes at imabima.tumblr.com. Follow me on twitter @imabima for all the #BlogElul posts, not only mine but others' as well! This year, I'm not doing a linky or anything like that -- I'm conserving energy! So be sure to tag your posts on Twitter and Facebook so I can catch them with my alerts.... 

1 comment:

Batya said...

This really is the guide you need to get you guys through Sam's battle.
Refuah Shleimah