Sunday, September 14, 2014

#BlogElul 19: Ask {guest post}

BlogElul guest post by Rabbi Anne Persin

Ask

When I first started writing this post, I kept focusing on the curiosity type of asking.  What it means to ask others about themselves, to be asked about yourself. I have always tended to be a curious sort and I have always been delighted to have others be curious about me.  So, this concept of asking was not only easy for me but welcomed!

But what about the other kind of asking?

What about the request kind of asking?

The request kind of asking has never been all that easy for me - asking for things... for help, for time, for people, for attention.  Deep inside the recesses of my mind, I have convinced myself that I should be able to handle things on my own.  If I truly needed something that would be one thing, but what more do I need than food, clothing, shelter?  Back in those recesses everything else are merely wants!  Of course, consciously, I know full well that I need a lot more than the just the basics.  All of us need help, time, people, attention.  All of us need care, consideration, forgiveness, love.  If only we were able to ask for all of that.

 ________________________________________

Rabbi Anne Persin is my very good friend and one of the best tantes my kids could ever have.

 ________________________________________

The Jewish month of Elul, which precedes the High Holy Days, is traditionally a time of renewal and reflection. It offers a chance for spiritual preparation for the Days of Awe. It is traditional to begin one’s preparation for the High Holy Days during this month with the Selichot, the prayers of forgiveness. We look to begin the year with a clean slate, starting anew, refreshed. All month, along with others, I'll be blogging a thought or two for each day to help with the month of preparation... I will be blogging here, and sharing #Elulgram photos on the same themes at imabima.tumblr.com. Follow me on twitter @imabima for all the #BlogElul posts, not only mine but others' as well! Read more about #BlogElul here.

No comments: